On Episode #57: On this episode, we get to meet three humans from the cycling world. I had the privilege to chat with Kim, Jock and Bonaventu from Team Africa Rising. Kim forms part of the management team for Africa Rising as the director of marketing and logistics. She has a fire heart. Jock was the first American to take part in the biggest race of the world the Tour de France. You can view his story in the documentary film Rising from Ashes. He’s a living legend sharing his wealth of knowledge, experience, and love of cycling with Team Africa Rising. Bonaventu, is a rockstar young cyclists forming part of Team Africa Rising’s up and coming Pro cyclists. Bona is prepping his mind and body for the upcoming Tour of Colorado.
Team Africa Rising was founded in 2007. They have exponentially grown the sport of cycling in Rwanda, a country torn apart in the 1994 Genocide and still mentally recovering from such an impactful experience.
With assistance from the Rwandan government and the Rwandan Cycling Federation, Jock Boyer and Kim Coats have grown the team to the point where it now fields more than 35 cyclists — men and women — in all levels and disciplines. Team rider Adrien Niyonshuti qualified for the 2012 London Olympic Games in mountain biking, and, most recently, Joseph Areruya, who came up through the program, won a stage at the 2017 U23 Giro d’Italia, marking the first stage win by a Rwandan at a UCI race.
Listen to the show:
- Join Team Africa Rising’s journey >>> Team Africa Rising
- Follow Team Africa Rising on Instagram >>> @teamrwanda
- Follow Team Africa Rising on Facebook >>> Team Rwanda
- Follow Team Africa Rising on Youtube >>> Team Rwanda
- Check out the documentary film featuring Jock Boyer >>> Rising from Ashes
- Send feedback and podcast suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org